Welcome to Virginia
SEE, EAT, STAY & PLAY
SEE, EAT, STAY & PLAY
Pictured at Matthews Funeral Home , Virginia, Co Cavan at the presentation of monies (€2350.40) received from their recent coffee morning for Virginia Cancer Fund are l. to r. Eimear Matthews, Margo Keating ( Virginia Cancer Fund) and Ciara...
The Active Virginians
“Add life to the years that add years to life”
In 2003, a group of about thirty far sighted individuals put forward the idea of forming a Club called Active Virginians with the motto “Add life to the years that add years to life”. In 2004, the Club formally got going with 50 members growing to 130 and presently in 2018 we have 74 very active members.
The objectives of the Active Virginians are to reach out to all people through friendship and support. It’s key aims are to provide a focal point for active people of both sexes who have retired and are aged 55 plus to meet, engage in educational, cultural, sporting and social activities. Furthermore, it aims to promote the spirit of self-help, independence and to encourage members to use their energy, talents, skills, knowledge and experience to benefit each other and the community.
There is something for everyone in the Active Virginians Club.
• Dance and Movement – includes Line dancing, set dancing, Pilates, Yoga, Tai-chi and walking with the local Ramblers group.
• Games – Indoor Bowls, Pitch n Putt, Pickle Ball, Table Tennis and Walking football
• Art and Crafts: – Drawing and sketching, glass painting, quilting, knitting and crotchet.
• Talks: – a variety of practical and topical talks ranging from members describing interesting travel destination to fire and home safety.
• Courses: – include computer literacy, CPR training, languages and bridge.
In addition to the above, the Club organises a number of trips which have ranged from one day outings to the races or the Botanic Gardens to cruises to Africa and Iceland.
The Club meets every Tuesday in two venues.
1. Parish Hall in the grounds of the Church of Ireland – 2.30 pm for talks, games or exercise.
2. St. John’s Hall on the Oldcastle Rd – 7.30 pm for indoor bowls.
The club also have use of the Show Centre for meetings, Pilates, Yoga and Art Group.
If you are interested in joining, we would be delighted to welcome you.
Annual membership is 25 euros which gives complete insurance cover to members and 5 euro covers all day activities and two free weekly raffles.
The Virginians Drama Group The Virginians came together quite informally some five or six years ago and performed some charity shows of music, song and drama. They provided much acclaimed entertainment in the Ramor Theatre for Culture Night in 2014 & 2015....